×
11-year-old boy bravely rescues all 4 siblings from burning home: "I did what any big brother would do"

11-year-old boy bravely rescues all 4 siblings from burning home: "I did what any big brother would do"

The fire broke out on December 5 afternoon when Brody Sims' parents were out to run a quick errand.

An 11-year-old boy knew exactly what he had to do when a deadly fire broke out in his Clarksville home. "My mom and dad told us, if there was a fire, to grab everyone and run out of the house and call 911," said Brody Sims according to NBC affiliate WSMV. The young boy bravely brought his siblings to safety when their kitchen became engulfed in flames on Sunday, December 5.

"All you could see was just smoke coming out," he said recalling the terrifying incident. "I was just standing right here, and my sister called 911." A GoFundMe page that has been set up by the children's aunt, Hannah Sims, reveals how Brody "bravely rushed his four siblings out of the house" while his sister called for help. 

"He ran past the fire to get his 2-year-old brother, who was in a bedroom in the back of the house," read the description of the post. Recalling the scary moment, Brody said all he could think about was getting his sleeping brother out of the house before the flames turned deadly for them. "I was just crying and yelling my brother's name," he recounted.



 

With his courageous efforts, the youngster managed to locate his brother and eventually brought him to safety just in time. While being hailed a hero for selflessly risking his own life to save his siblings, Brody humbly expressed, "I did what any big brother would do." Of course, his mother, Kimberly Sims, cannot be more proud of him and thankful that all of her kids are safe and unharmed.

"It was just kind of surreal," noted Kimberly, who was out with her husband that afternoon to run a quick errand when the fire engulfed their home. "I'm just really thankful the kids have been trained what to do in emergencies. We're unbelievably proud," she added. Although no one was fatally harmed in the incident, the fire did end up destroying nearly everything that belonged to the family of seven.

"Their house is completely destroyed, along with most of their belongings, including awards their dad got while in the army as well as the kids’ toys and clothes," read the fundraising page. "This tragedy has struck their family right before the holidays, and I’m hoping to be able to get the kids toys and clothes to make their holiday season full of cheer. Anything donated would be greatly appreciated for these 5 little ones!" wrote Hannah, sharing the different clothing sizes that are required for every family member.



 

Posting a video update, Hannah noted how Brody and his sister, Sydney, were recognized by the fire department for their bravery and how they were given a ride to school in fire trucks. "They started the day by bringing the kids some presents and then they brought them to school," she shared in the clip. "They got to ride in the fire truck and Brody got to sit up there and do the sirens...that was really cool."

Please click here if you wish to donate. 

Cover image source: GoFundMe | Kitchen Fire Burns Down Family of Seven’s Home

Recommended for you