×
18-year-old dies after taking just a sip of pina colada. He would have started college this fall.

18-year-old dies after taking just a sip of pina colada. He would have started college this fall.

He did not know that the bartender changed the coconut cream in the cocktail to milk cream, which sent him into anaphylactic shock.

A young British man died tragically after consuming a pina colada, while on a vacation in Spain. Shiv Mistry was in Costa Del Sol, Spain, when he had an allergic reaction. 

The teenager who just turned 18 was allergic to dairy and went into anaphylactic shock after taking only one sip of the drink. He died shortly after on July 8. He had no idea the bartenders had replaced the cocktail's staple component, coconut cream, with cow's milk cream, reports Metro UK. Shiv was a bright student who was on his way to study medicine. He was bound to go to Claire College in Cambridge.

 



 

 

Shiv was handed the pina colada by a friend in a Fuengirola pub when he began to sweat, hyperventilate, and vomit in the restroom. Despite taking cetirizine, a potent antihistamine, Shiv felt "weak and dazed" and asked his friends to phone 911, according to assistant coroner Ian Wade QC.

He added, "He then requested an EpiPen and an inhaler. His other friends arrived and one left to guide emergency services to the room. Each gasp was longer apart until his breathing stopped. They gave him CPR for 20 minutes and someone called his parents on WhatsApp to tell them what had happened."

Image Source: Getty Images/Artur Debat
Image Source: Getty Images/Artur Debat

 

Shiv's parents begged his friends to use a second EpiPen over the phone while their son was taken to the Costa Del Sol Hospital in Marbella. Doctors declared him brain dead, claiming he died as a result of anaphylactic shock. His parents said in a statement read by Wade that they don't blame his friends for anything that happened. The statement says, "We, Shiv’s parents, do not lay any blame on Shiv’s friends who were very courageous and did everything possible to save his life and should be commended during the hearing, if appropriate."

A GoFundMe page has been set up by his uncle, Kalpesh Mistry, in order to make donations in the memory of Shiv. 

Image Source: Twitter/RGSHW Headmaster
Image Source: Twitter/RGSHW Headmaster

 

The campaign page reads, "He was in Spain with his friends to celebrate finishing his exams and looking forward to attending Claire College at Cambridge University to study Medicine later this year. Whilst holidaying in Spain, he sadly died, Shiv had an allergic reaction and went into anaphylactic shock." 

Any contributions made will be donated to, "Anaphylaxis UK and to other worthwhile endeavors which will also aid people that have allergies and anaphylaxis by proactively using mobile and other technology."

Shiv attended the Royal Grammar School (RGS) in High Wycombe, and principal Philip Wayne released a statement on Twitter in August, "It was a privilege to spend time with the grieving parents and sister of Shiv Mistry Y13 this morning. Shiv died whilst on holiday with his RGS friends following an anaphylactic shock." 

Cover Image Source: GoFundMe/Shiv Mistry

Recommended for you