×
2YO dies after circumcision while his infant brother had to fight for his life after the same procedure

2YO dies after circumcision while his infant brother had to fight for his life after the same procedure

The toddler was pronounced dead on arrival before his little brother was rushed for emergency surgery.

A two-year-old boy has died after a medical procedure that was reported to be a botched circumcision. His infant brother, who is believed to be about seven months old, was also rushed to the hospital after the same procedure at a medical clinic near their family home. Paramedics rushed to their home in Seville Grove, in Perth's southeast suburbs, around 6.30 pm on Tuesday. Tragically, the two-year-old boy was pronounced dead on arrival before his little brother was taken for emergency surgery. 



 

An employee from the medical center told The Daily Mail that there were no complications immediately after the procedure. He said, "It happened when he got home." The toddler was in a 'critical condition' when emergency workers arrived, according to a spokeswoman from St John Ambulance. "He was taken from home to Armadale Hospital," she said. Sadly he did not make it through. The infant was taken to Perth Children's Hospital for life-saving surgery and spent the night in ICU. 7NEWS.com.au reported that the infant was treated in the hospital’s intensive care unit and has since been released. There was no foul play detected in the two-year-old's death. “It can be confirmed the boy underwent a medical procedure at a registered medical center prior to his death,” a WA Police spokeswoman said. According to the Daily Mail, WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson shared, "There are no suspicious circumstances – this medical procedure took place at an authorized medical facility," he said. "It appears that this is a very tragic case. But I've got no information to suggest that there's anything untoward in terms of criminal acts or anything like that."



 

An expert has revealed that the rates of circumcisions have declined in Australia over the years. WA Australian Medical Association president Mark Duncan-Smith advised parents to go through the procedure only if there was a valid medical reason. "It's a very, very good conversation to have with your trusted GP. Your GP can advise you the proper indications for circumcision, the dangers, how it's done. And that has to be part of the evaluation of whether or not it's appropriate for a child to have a circumcision."



 

It is believed that the two-year-old died after suffering an allergic reaction to anesthesia, reports The Daily Mail. "As with any medical procedure, proper consultation with the patient, parents and the child should be undertaken beforehand," Dr. Duncan-Smith told The West Australian. "And also, clearly a history of bleeding in the family would be a red flag for example." Back in the 1960s, around 90 percent of kids were circumcised but now the rate has reduced to just 10 percent. Dr. Duncan-Smith noted that more parents were turning away from the practice as there were few medical reasons to circumcise their child.

Representational Image Source: Getty Images/ Jill Lehmann Photography

Cover Image Source: Getty Images/ Jill Lehmann Photography

Recommended for you