Beauden Baumkirchner's family has set a GoFundMe page to support their expenses. They thanked all the kind people for their donations.
One family's happy vacation turned into a nightmare after their little boy's minor accident snowballed into something far worse. Three-year-old Beauden Baumkirchner was out camping with his family on the outskirts of San Diego when the incident occurred.
The family from Lake Havasu, Arizona was having a good time at the campsite when, according to 12News, the little boy Beauden suffered a fall when he was riding the bicycle around the site. At one point, Beauden fell off his bike and scraped his knees. The family did not take it very seriously as, like many kids his age, Beauden too had fallen off the bike numerous times in the past. “He’s done that many, many times as any three-year-old boy will do," said Brian Baumkirchner, the father of the boy.
So they attended to the wound and treated it like a minor injury. However, things changed overnight. After the fall, Beauden appeared drowsy. And the next day, his condition only worsened. The morning after he developed a fever. Soon, the family rushed him to Rady Children’s Hospital in San Diego.
After examinations, the parents were informed that the boy was fighting an aggressive staph infection. “The ICU doctor said that his labs, when he came in, were of concern, for sure. But the lab work at 1 p.m., just three hours later, his whole body was shutting down. They thought they were going to lose him, for sure, that night," said the devastated father.
He added, "The staph infection — they knew it was some kind of bacterial infection, but weren’t sure what it was — but you can see it spreading in his legs, down to all of his extremities. They thought they were going to lose him for sure that first day," according to Western Journal.
The family was heartbroken. And in the days that followed, the family received more bad news. "He is diagnosed with staph aureus/MSSA. Then sepsis. Then toxic shock syndrome. This is a pretty rare case of MSSA since his body went into toxic shock," said his mother, Juliana Baumkirchner.
Despite the best efforts of the doctors, they could not get the blood to circulate through his legs. With no other options left, they were forced to amputate his legs. According to the GoFundMe page, the little boy went through 16 surgeries and even lost several of his fingers during one of them.
The fundraiser set up by a family member hopes to support the distressed parents with the costs of the medical treatments and housing expenditure. The page has already raised $107,546. A recent update on the page stated that the family was waiting for his legs to heal to receive skin grafts.
“Also, we are waiting to get an update on his hands… but I think that his treatments are allowing him some reprieve from further amputations," stated the page. They also thanked the kind hearts who were financially helping the family through the ordeal.
“Once again, thank each of you for your hearts and minds and prayers towards Beauden. He’ll likely never get to meet even half of you, but when he’s older I’ll tell him how the people of this and other countries came together to lift him up in prayer."
Meanwhile, Brain revealed that they were initially planning to vacation at a spot near Santa Barbara. Luckily they changed their plans last minute. “God led us here and changed our plans for us because Rady Children’s is one of the best in the country with the best infectious disease team. It’s crazy. We are so in the right place! I count that as Blessing #1," said the father.
The father of three also reminded people not to take each day for granted. "This poor little boy has done nothing to anybody; he’s just this innocent little boy. Don’t take any days for granted, that’s for sure," said Brain.