Paralyzed toddler manages to recover and takes his first steps at 2 years old with hospital staff cheering him on

Paralyzed toddler manages to recover and takes his first steps at 2 years old with hospital staff cheering him on

The boy went from "being a spunky running little boy to almost paralyzed!" But the family and staff were able to see him slowly get back on his feet.

Two-year-old Alaric Bridgeman was completely paralyzed when he was taken to the hospital in December, 2020. His family had to watch the zippy young toddler lose the ability to use his limbs. But thankfully, with the support of all the medical staff, who called themselves Alaric's Army, the little boy was able to get back on his feet.

Towards the beginning of December, Alaric started suffering from transverse myelitis and was paralyzed from the neck down when he arrived at the Akron Children's Hospital in Ohio. On a GoFundMe page set up for the family, Alaric's mother revealed that it took just six hours for the family's life to drastically change.

Source: GoFundMe

The boy went from "being a spunky running little boy to almost paralyzed! Alaric was diagnosed with transverse myelitis; basically, his immune system is attacking his nerves!" said the mother who also has three daughters. "He has a severe swelling in his spinal cord which causes his arms to be numb and lifeless and partly his legs as well..."

Source: GoFundMe

The hospital began Alaric's treatment, but it was clear that his recovery would take a while. "On December 20, he finally displayed some intentional movement, and the hard work started there," the hospital shared on Facebook. "Small but mighty, Alaric worked as hard as he could with his beloved physical therapists twice a day."

Source: GoFundMe

While suffering from a disease that can lead to inflammation and injury of the spinal cord, Alaric still managed to get those at the hospital to fall in love with him. As he spent his days at the hospital, he would accompany his father and go around the hospital meeting people along the way.

"To pass the time, Alaric and his dad, Dustin, would take long walks through the hospital, making friends with everyone they passed. Alaric’s Army—hospital staff, family, and friends from near and far- supported and cheered him on during his entire hospital stay," the hospital added.


After treatment that stretched on for more than a month, Alaric had shown great improvement and finally, when it was time for him to go home, the staff created a special setting for him to before he walked out of the hospital, according to People.

A mini "road" was laid out in the hallway with a banner that said "I DID IT!" at the finish line.

When the day for him to go home arrived, Alaric crossed the finish line with a smile of pure glee, and he fell into the arms of one of his physical therapists before being discharged.


The staff shared the joyful moment with the little boy, and the hospital added on Facebook, "It was a very exciting day to send Alaric home and see all the incredible progress he has made!"

His elated father also wrote on Facebook, "So proud of our son. He was brought into Akron children's hospital by the squad and was paralyzed from the neck down. Today he walked out of the hospital on his own two feet." Check out the incredible walk of recovery and freedom here.



Cover images source credit: (L) GoFundMe and (R) Akron Children's Hospital/Facebook

Recommended for you