×
Hero Pitbull grabs baby by diaper and gets her out of house fire

Hero Pitbull grabs baby by diaper and gets her out of house fire

Latana Chai was at home with her pitbull pup Sasha and 7-month-old daughter Masailah when a devastating fire began in her neighbor's home on June 3, 2018.

It's a shame that every pitbull is associated with the stigma of being an aggressive and deadly breed. Time and again, these animals have proved their love for humans and one California family cannot be any more grateful for them. Latana Chai was at home with her pitbull pup Sasha and 7-month-old daughter Masailah when a devastating fire began in her neighbor's home on June 3, 2018, reports ABC13

Sasha began barking loudly and banging at their backyard door, a little before midnight. This frantic and furious behavior of the 8-month-old dog was quite different from what the owner was used to. Thus, she instantly realized that something had gone terribly wrong for her sweet, mild-mannered Sasha to be acting this way.

Chai hurried down the stairs to open the back door of her Stockton, California home and check up on her pet. That's when she saw thick, black fumes engulfed around angry flames pouring out of her neighbor's home. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for the fire to spread to Chai's four-plex home. So, the mother ran inside to get her baby to safety only to find Sasha rescuing her. The pup was holding the child by the diaper as she dragged her off the bed, according to CBS News

Image Source: GoFundMe | devastated by fire

It was the dog's courageous actions and quick thinking that helped save the family before most of their home was destroyed by the flames. Soon after, a GoFundMe page was launched by the family to raise money for the home they had lost to the fire. Here Chai recounted the incident, per CBS News, and wrote, "June 3, 2018, I was awaken by my pitbull pup Sasha banging and crying at my backyard door. Little did I know, Sasha would become my hero. My neighbors home was totally destroyed, and the fire was quickly spreading to my unit."

"[Sasha] was trying to warn us of the fire. I got out of bed to see what was going on. At that moment I opened the back door and Sasha ran into our home, straight into our bedroom," she continued. Initially, Chai was left confused when she saw the fire. But as soon as the fact sank in that her cousin's apartment right next door was up in flames, the mother darted inside her house to save her daughter. "I ran into the bedroom, where Sasha was already dragging my 7-month-old baby off the bed by her diaper. Thanks to Sasha we were able to get out safe and call 911," she shared.



 

Firefighters arrived at the scene quickly after this and managed to save most of the building. Sadly, Chai and her cousin's apartment was completely destroyed in the fire. CBS affiliate WTVR-TV reported that the family had to stay with their relatives who lived in one of the buildings that survived the blaze. If anything, this incident showed Chai just how much love Sasha had for her and her baby. She hoped that her story would help change the negative perception surrounding pit bulls everywhere. "I owe her everything. If it wasn't for her, I would have still been in bed and things could have taken a worse turn," Chai said of her dog's heroics. 

Image Source: GoFundMe | devastated by fire

Recommended for you