×
Heartbreaking selfie video shows chirpy 12YO happily getting dressed moments before a gas explosion took her life

Heartbreaking selfie video shows chirpy 12YO happily getting dressed moments before a gas explosion took her life

"Some days, I don't feel the damage in my body. I feel the pain in my heart," the girl's mother said.

It was around 6 am in the Rogers' house and 12-year-old Linda "Michellita" Rogers was already awake before sunrise while the rest of her family was asleep. So excited she was about the cheerleading competition planned for that day that she jumped out of bed early to get ready for the big event. Despite waking up so early and getting ready for the event, Michellita never made it to the cheerleading event.

On that February morning in 2018, Michellita woke up and recorded a selfie-video of herself, talking about the event she was excited about. "Good morning," she whispered and said in the video, reported WFAA. "It’s 6:02 a.m. Friday... I’m going to get ready. I'm going to start with hair, turn on my lamp because I don't want to turn on all of the lights..."



 

The next video shows her all dressed up and ready in her cheerleading uniform. "Sorry if you guys can't hear me. But they're all sleeping," she can be heard saying to the camera.

She then goes on to do her hair in a time-lapse video and a few seconds in, the camera suddenly shows sparks for a split-second before completely going off. It was right in the middle of Michellita happily fixing her hair when an explosion took place and blew up her house.



 

The 12-year-old girl along with members of her family were severely injured and rushed to the hospital. Although her family survived, Michellita suffered fatal injuries and doctors couldn't save her, declaring her dead at 7:36 a.m.

Since the little girl's death, the family has been raising their voices against the company called Atmos Energy, whose natural gas pipes were the reasons for three homes exploding in northwest Dallas. Michellita's house was the third to explode in one single week.

Michellita's parents, her brother, and grandmother survived the explosion but have to live the rest of their lives dealing with the little girl's tragic death. "Some days, I don't feel the damage in my body. I feel the pain in my heart," the girl's mother Maria Rogers said, according to the Dallas Morning News.

When the mother saw the sight of her daughter after they were taken to the hospital, she recalled that her little girl still had her braid and her ponytail intact. "She looked beautiful," the bereaved mother said, seeing her daughter lying lifeless in her cheerleading costume. 

Source: GoFundMe

After the incident took place in 2018, the family decided to release the footage of Michellita's final moments on the anniversary of her death. In the past, Michellita had talked about donating her kidney to a sick relative and after she was killed by the injuries of the explosion, her parents asked doctors if her organs could be donated. The family knew that Michellita would have hoped for that. However, the parents were told that the fatal blast resulted in her organs being far too damaged to be donated.  

"Michellita was in the 6th grade and was a bundle of joy. She gave love to everyone that would cross her path. She was outspoken and loved cheerleading," said the GoFundMe page that was set up for the family.

Along with losing a dear member of the family, they lost their house as well in the explosion. "The house was completely destroyed and has left us heartbroken and displaced. My family has lost everything," the fundraising page said.



 

In May 2019, it was reported by CBS DFW that Atmos Energy settled a lawsuit that was filed for the wrongful death of Michellita. The attorney of the family revealed that the family was content with the settlement terms. 

Recommended for you