Daycare worker jailed after allegedly killing baby by shaking her, then googling "shaken baby syndrome"

Daycare worker jailed after allegedly killing baby by shaking her, then googling "shaken baby syndrome"

According to investigators, 24-year-old Taylor Burris did not act quickly after baby Maren Gallagher was injured. Instead, she proceeded to shake her violently because she wouldn't stop crying.

An in-home daycare worker in Illinois has been jailed for allegedly injuring an infant by fatally shaking her. According to WAND-TV,  24-year-old Taylor Burris Googled "shaken baby syndrome" right after her alleged abuse.

While being interviewed by authorities, Burris shared that she had been caring for 7-week-old Maren Gallagher on May 17, when a ball thrown by another child hit her head. The infant was taken to the hospital later that day but she succumbed to her wound the following day. 

Investigators were suspicious about the circumstances surrounding the child's death and thus sent the autopsy reports for review to Dr. Jill Glick, a professor of pediatrics and child abuse expert at the University of Chicago School of Medicine, according to an affidavit written by Sgt. Robert Pope with the Macon County Sheriff's Office.

Source: Roux-Hinds Funeral Home

"Dr. Glick would conclude in her preliminary findings that these injuries were caused by a violent car crash or shaken baby syndrome," revealed Pope. "Dr. Glick would then indicate that since there was no known car crash, she strongly suspected shaken baby syndrome." While questioning Burris for the second time, she allegedly confessed to shaking Maren.

She revealed that the infant was hit in the head with a ball after which she wouldn't stop crying. This is when Burris allegedly shook the baby. "Taylor admitted she had to tell (the baby's mother) and police that a softball hit Maren because after she observed Maren's health declining, she needed a more probable means to account for the significant injuries Maren had sustained," read the affidavit according to the Herald & Review

Source: GoFundMe | Gallagher Family Fund

Investigators also accused Burris of not acting fast enough even after realizing that baby Maren's health was deteriorating. "Taylor admitted the incident occurred around 10:40 a.m. but didn't call EMS until 2:05 p.m. When on the phone with dispatch, Taylor said that the infant had been in an unresponsive and impeded or apneic breathing state for 20 minutes before she called EMS. This was clearly neglectful behavior," states the affidavit.

It was also revealed that Burris had searched "shaken baby syndrome" on her phone right after the infant's injury. Sangamon County Coroner's Office issued a press release noting the preliminary autopsy findings "suggested the infant sustained injury to her head. These findings are highly suspicious." Burris is now in Macon County Jail after a judge set her bail at $250,000. She faces charges of aggravated battery, involuntary manslaughter or reckless homicide, and endangering the life of a child.

Cover image source: GoFundMe | Gallagher Family Fund

Recommended for you