The dogs were feared to have been dehydrated and taken to the police station where they were kept for the owners to collect them.
Two dogs were rescued from a parked hot car by police officers who noticed they were left unattended. The window was only slightly cracked and the dogs had no access to water. The dog owners were away shopping. Police from the UK town, Cannock, managed to crack the car door open without damaging it to get the dogs out. They shared an update on their Facebook page and warned dog owners to be wary about leaving dogs in cars, as the weather gets warmer, without ventilation or water. It is just as distressful for animals as it is for humans to be left in a hot car.
The Cannock Police shared pictures of the car the dogs were trapped in and their happy faces once they were rescued. The Facebook post read: Another example of dogs being left in a vehicle parked at the new outlet, on a hot day in Cannock...without any access to water. If you want to know how hot it gets in the car with a window cracked open and the engine off... you can try sitting in the car yourself. The dogs were feared to have been dehydrated and were taken to the Cannock police station where they were kept. The owners were asked to collect them from the police station. It is unclear if the dogs were reunited with their dogs.
The police had reported this negligence to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA.) The rescued dogs were left in the parking lot of the brand new McArthurGlen shopping village in Cannock, Staffordshire, according to Metro. The two police officers who spotted and rescued the dogs even shared a picture of them sitting in the backseat of the police car.
A Facebook user was all praise for the police and wrote: Well done Cannock Police ...when will people learn...Hope the lecture they got on collection will sink in and they value their dogs a bit more over the latest named clothing they bought. Tracey Ann had this to say, Wow! Well done for getting them out!! With all the information available I can’t believe people actually still do this knowing the dangers!
In 2019, 78 pets died in a hot car after a heat stroke, as per The Zebra. The site also stated that dogs with broad, short skulls also known as brachycephalic breeds, such as pugs and bulldogs are more susceptible to heatstroke. Overweight dogs and dogs with a heart condition will also most likely suffer a heat stroke. The most common signs a dog would have when suffering a heat stroke is that it would have excessive, rapid breathing, or panting. Dogs do not sweat and rely mainly on their respiratory tract to dissipate heat. According to Bark Post, they can also lose heat through dilation of the blood vessels of the skin and increased cardiac output which means they will have rapid heartbeats.