The police will not be treating this as a suspicious death.
Young children are quite curious and will have a thousand questions, and sometimes they try little experiments or set out on expeditions to find the answers themselves. While curiousity is always good, sometimes, it can land them in danger. Recently, a little child of pre-school age was found dead in Christchurch, New Zealand. The child was found unresponsive in a front-loading washing machine that had been turned on, according to Daily Mail.
As per Mirror, a spokesperson said that officers were notified of an incident that took place in the suburb of Hoon Hay at about 5pm on Friday, Feb19, 2021. "One person was injured and taken to hospital where they later died. Police are making enquiries into the circumstances of the death and the coroner has been informed," reports officers, according to news.com.au.
According to Star News, chairwoman Karolyn Potter from the Waihoro/Spreydon-Cashmere Community Board said the community was resilient and would rally around the family. She said: "This is a sadness that's beyond talking about."
Young child is found dead after being found unresponsive in a front-loading washing machine https://t.co/mFlp9WoMxL— Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline) February 22, 2021
Spreydon ward councillor Dr Melanie Coker said she had only learnt about the "absolutely heart breaking" incident after seeing media reports, but sent her condolences to the family.
It has also been reported that the child's death will not be treated as suspicious by the police. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, there have been at least three related deaths of children aged five and younger since 2014.
This incident highlights the potential dangers of a front-loading washing machine. Kids who are curious might just get into the machine, if they find the door open and an unsuspecting adult could switch it on, resulting in the death of a child, like this tragic incident.
Also, the kids could crawl behind the machine, resulting in electric shocks and burns, which are equally dangerous.
Such a shame— grislyadams (@fcadams3) February 22, 2021
Non-profit group Consumer Reports say of the risks: "It's critical that parents explain to their young children that appliances are not toys, and that they can be dangerous. So, how can you fix this issue? "Hire a professional," Anna Lane from Reviewed, urges. "It’s worth every penny because they often spot hazards that parents don’t even think about."
And when it comes to your laundry room in general, Anna says, "Definitely keep all of the soap/fabric softener/whatever on a high shelf so your kid can’t get to it. Things that are colorful and smell good are very tempting to little kids."
Non-profit group Consumer Reports says "It's critical that parents explain to their young children that appliances are not toys, and that they can be dangerous. It's equally important to point out any potential dangers to anyone watching your children while you’re away. Remember that young kids are at a developmental stage that makes them especially curious."
A simple precautionary measure can prevent you and your loved ones from witnessing such tragic incidents.
Representative Cover Image Source: Getty Images/Sue Barr